Search Velvet's Blog

Miaow, My Virtual Kitten

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Maths

Sadly (I mean VERY sadly) I still have to study although it's holiday. Before accusing me of being inhuman, allow me to explain further ---- The teacher adviser of my club shoved me FOUR books before hols and insisted that I finish them........................ /.\ Haiz haiz. Coz there's this competition in KL the week school reopens. Haiz haiz. Seems like I rarely go to KL other than for competitions...

Anyway, the books are all about how to prove maths stuff. Seriously who needs maths prove in your life? You don't have to prove it to know that clothes on discount are cheaper. You don't need prove to buy stocks. You don't need prove to calculate how many months out of your salary you need to buy a bungalow. All you need is one simple calculator. So why do we have to prove stuff mathematically???

And the author has a very interesting logic. Apparently he believes that to prove something you have to prove that the opposite is untrue. For example... Don't worry I won't bore you guys with maths. But here's an interesting metafore I came up with.

To prove that love is always conditional ( = there's no unconditional love.) we have to assume first that "Unconditional love exists." Then we give the definitions... Love is a strong feeling of affection, whereas condition is the circumstances or factors affecting the way in which people live or work, especially with regard to their well-being. Or so google says. So basically if unconditional love exists, you don't have to do anything to fall in love. But we know that something must at least happen for you to fall in love, e.g. acknowledge that person's existence. If you do not know that person exists, it is impossible for you to fall in love with that person. So, the assumption that "Unconditional love exists." is clearly wrong. Therefore, we proved that love is always conditional.

Ehehehe first I have to thank the people that actually read the above paragraph for your patience and perseverance. Basically if you read it then you know I'm just talking crap and toying with words. Basically the whole book is like that, but instead of words you use symbols and numbers.

Conclusion: Mathematicians are insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment