Search Velvet's Blog

Miaow, My Virtual Kitten

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ichthyophobia

Yep, I have ichthyophobia. Fear of fish. I hope no one's going to use this info to murder me someday. Duh.

So to write this post I searched Wiki: Fear of fish or ichthyophobia may refer to various cultural phenomena, such as fear of eating fish, or fear of dead fish, as well as to a specific phobia. Well at least that's the default definition. 

When I saw that I was like, yay I'm normal! Okay I'm not afraid of normal fish, in fact I love eating them, I'm just kinda afraid of dead ones. Or, more exactly, half-dead, dying ones. Out of water, struggling ones. YUCK. Turns out that is not uncommon too. Kindly forgive me for not inserting pictures here. I'm afraid I'll puke in front of my laptop if I search up any pictures. So yea.

I think this phobia originated when I was a kid. I visited the Chew Thean Yeang Aquarium, Readers from Penang who visited the place before would know that there are several rows of tanks with no lids in one part of the building, mainly selling small fishes. And during my visit, a fish leaped out from the tank and, narrowing missing me, landed on the guy in front, Then I was like, shell shocked. So yea.

People said phobias get better when you grow older. Not in my case. In fact I think it has just gotten worse! That day I went to Chew Thean Yeang Aquarium again. To buy dog food. There's a quite newly build gigantic aquarium on the ground floor, inside the pets section there... And it's full of gigantic fish. Okay actually the fish are not gigantic, it just has a thick glass panel, that's all. And I was like, no way I'm going near that thing. So yea my fear of fish has now spread to living fish, I'm such a sad case. Although people keep reassuring me the big fish is really scary, but still.

Many websites offer cures to ichthyophobia, but the cures themselves sound creepy! So I think I would just have to put up with this phobia all my life. Did I mention my worst dreams are about FISH? Yep you read right, not about ghosts or monsters or getting zeros but about FISH. Duh.

The end. To know more about ichthyophobia, visit this awesome website here. ..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment