Search Velvet's Blog

Miaow, My Virtual Kitten

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Neopaganism and Why I Will Never be a Christian, No Offense.

I'm finally found a religion that I agree with. (Up till now, I'm still atheist.) Strictly speaking, neopaganism isn't a religion, more of an ideology. Or rather, it is a non-institutionalized religion. Of course, neopaganism has many branches, the most famous of all being Wiccan, which I'm sure you've all heard of before. But then again, the main concept of neopaganism, is that we are all born from a predominant female deity, the Goddess, or rather, Mother Nature. Instead of creating this world, it's more like the whole world is part of her.

Anyway, what attracts me to neopaganism, what I can really identify with it, is this:
1. We don't need a particular ritual of worship, instead, anything such as dancing, writing calligraphy, listening to music would do, as long as it allows you to concentrate, even if you're simply concentrating on breathing. And while concentrating, we're able to connect with our inner selves, reach a higher level of spirituality and let the Goddess guide us.
Sounds mystic, huh? The thing is, I never believed that particular forms of worship meant anything.
2. We should enjoy every moment of life and do everything with a passion.(Even if you're scrubbing the toilet.)
This is certainly my kind of ideology.
3. We all have limitless potential, it's already there, you just have to discover it. What makes this different from the 'positive energy' idea that is popular right now is that, the 'positive energy' idea believes that first, you have a positive thought, you give out positive energy, and that's why you'd get a positive outcome, instead of thinking that the potential is there in the first place.

So yea Nic if one day I stop being atheist you'd know I took up neopaganism.

As for why I shall never convert to Christianity... (Even if you think being a Christian is cool, Flo.) (I thought since I'm talking about religion I might as well get things straight here.) Again, no offense, guys.
1. They (used to) burn cats. (And woman.)
I doubt cats will ever forgive you. And as a cat lover, I don't. (And as a female, I don't.)
2. They are sexist.
It's true. Before you object, go read the bible. It says "Men are the head of women." Wth?
3. I'm too lazy to go to church.
4. My mom disapproves of Christian names. I dunno why.
5. It wiped out pagan religions before.
Early Christianity, blah blah, go Wikipedia.
6. It's used a lot to gain political power.
Power play tools. From ancient times till now, religions rarely get separated from politics. Jesus wasn't even born on Christmas. Christmas was simply on Dec 25 to coincide with a pagan festival in order not to lose support of pagans. Sorry to spoil your sweet world but still.
If the above reasons are not enough to convince you I dunno what will?

p.s. I hope Shu Qi won't think I'm weird after (if?) she reads this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment