Search Velvet's Blog

Miaow, My Virtual Kitten

Saturday, December 6, 2014

What I Learnt from Novels

So yeah the thing I've been doing most this hols is reading novels online. Thought I might as well do a list about it. (The long-time-no-see list obsession personality is here again.) Actually, discover is a more accurate word than learn... Whatever.
1. It's really agonizing to read a serial novel that is still not finished.
Really. Agonizing. And. Frustrating. For one, I kept forgetting which chapter did I last stop. And also, I can't remember the storyline properly.
2. People in novels rarely change their clothes.
No kidding. Or perhaps they have similar clothes that look the same. Haven't you noticed that for the most part, a character is described wearing similar clothes? It's ALWAYS that white shirt. (Which never gets stained with blood. Or curry.)
3. There are seriously too many China novels depicting cold-blooded CEOS.
Fine, we all know everyone wants to be rich, and also that everyone hates the rich, but still, I seriously wonder why readers won't get bored? I would never read one of those. (At first, I thought it simply depicts male CEOs, but recently there are female versions!! Same story, CEO falls in love with a poor person. Guys nowadays, haiz.)
4. Schools for rich kids have poor security.
Every single species you can think of (vampires, demons, foxes, snakes, ghosts...etc etc etc) can mix into the school. Well, my school (PCGHS) has way better security. I bet you can never find a vampire here. Wait, you can't, right?
5. Some animals are considered romantic, others are not.
Well Westerners might find it a bit hard to understand but I'm sure people who read Chinese novels know about 妖. (The closest word would be daemon. It's an animal who, after hundreds of years, can change into human form. Unlike were-animals, it was born animal, instead of human.) However, the majority of these 妖 that appear in novels are: foxes, wolves, snakes, rabbits, felines, deers... Animals you won't see are: insects, cows, crocodiles, snails....... Well actually it's understandable coz most of the time this characters appear as romance interests, so yeah...
6. People from the royal family are bad.
Trust me, in a novel, they always have conspiracies.
7. The main character usually has a secret.
Don't ask me why. Maybe authors are too bored.
8. The aforementioned secrets can never be safely kept.
Have you EVER read a novel in which a character's secret was safely kept by him/her throughout the book? NO. Some point there the secret will certainly be revealed. Sad case. Fortunately this doesn't happen in real life. I think. (Novels are so unrealistic, but then, how can dramatic stuff be realistic?)

2 comments:

  1. Agree in no.2, happens in anime s all the time. Btw, why am I shown as from butterworth by your traffic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it basically shows me as butterworth too. Maybe our servers r there, whatever. It's so rare u visit me!!!

    ReplyDelete